Apparently, you have seen a modal window that appears at the moment of closing the page on a website. It can irritate you. However, you should know that these Popups increase a conversion rate on the website. At this article, I’ll try to make a ready-to-use guide – how to make Exit Popups and give tips that will help increase their effectiveness.
To begin with, a message that must be placed in this Exit Popup. Apparently, it should be interesting for your prospects and stimulate them to leave an email or make a purchase on your website.
After researching more than three hundred different popups, I arranged the list of such offers, so you can use as many as you want.
List of ideas for exit popups
- Instant discount proposition
- Coupon on discount or Free shipping
- Leave feedback
- Get Exclusive Access or Join the Club
- Download a whitepaper (course, tutorial, etc)
- Special Offer
- The most interesting content
- Subscribe to newsletter
Do you need more ideas for Exit Popups? So there some headlines for your offers:
- Sign up and Get 15% OFF your next Purchase
- Get free Shipping On your next order of $49 or more when you join our email list!
- Enter to Win A $100 MyShop gift card
- Get updates on the latest in style&savings – all up to 70% off
- Get a special discount on your next purchase + be the first to know about promotions, exclusive offers and sweepstakes
- Enjoy $25 off your next purchase when you first sign up for email
- Our Best Kept Secret. Gain access to secret, subscriber-only discounts when you join our newsletter
- It’s your Lucky day Sign up today to receive inside offers and $75 off your first purchase of $350 or more
- Leaving so soon? 20% OFF Full Price!
- Unlock the Perks with our emails: Exclusive offers, Event Invitations, Sneak Peeks & More
- How much will you save? (5% 10% 20% 30% 50%) Enter your email address to instantly receive your promo code and see your savings at checkout
When you choose an appropriate offer, you must consider about methods of appearance on your site.
Whom will you show it?
The most common scenario is when a popup appears for the first time visitor and one time only. So, you are not afraid that it will annoy your return visitors. Also, you are confident that clients won’t see your lucrative offer. However, if you want to be sure about people who have a right to use your proposition, then it’s better to write about restrictions directly on a popup.
Examples of these messages
- First-time buyers only. Certain exclusions apply.
- Discount cannot be applied to previous purchases or combined with any additional offers
- Discount for new customers only and towards full-price purchases over $80. Not valid on Appear. Subject to change without notice.
- A one-time 15% offer promo code valid for 30 days. Promo code restrictions apply.
So, you secure yourself from losses that can happen when a client notices your offer and tries to use it.
Targeting methods and personalization
IT’s good when you know clients, their LTV and what source of traffic is more profitable. This information is crucial when you set up methods of targeting for your popups. For example for visitors from Philippines or India you can propose to take part in the referral program; for visitors from the US you propose free shipping or discount etc. When you see that visitors from some countries are almost impossible to convert to clients you should try to make other offers for them. On the other hand, visitors from some countries or sources are most valuable, and personalized offers are a good way to increase a conversion rate of such users.
Subjects for such Exit PopUps (example)
- Special offer for visitors from the UK
- Special offer for visitors from the DigitalPoint.com
Please, don’t use Exit popups for visitors who visit your site from smartphones. By the last news, Google can penalize your site for it. Read more here.
I collect some interesting popups that will inspire you and make your offer looks incredible!
Exit Popup stimulates Sign Up
Exit popup – Subscription
Exit popup – Subscription
Exit popup – Leave your Feedback
Exit popup – Get Access to a Free White Paper or Lesson
Exit Popup with an interesting design:
Do you want to see more examples? Just visit this site.